PITT SPLIT

Trainingstipps zum "Großwerden", Techniken, Theorien, Pläne & Experimente
(u.a. PITT Training, 5x5, Volumentraining, Rest/Pause uvm.)

Moderatoren: meisterproper, Totti

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User
Gewicht (kg): 0
Größe ( in cm ): 0

My split

Beitragvon Lifter » 20. Dez 2006, 06:04

Hi Sloni,

Nice to hear from you again. :)

Weighing up my options last weekend, using my records dating back 30 years as a guide, I decided to hone my routine down to a minimum so I could cope with the increased stress PITT provides. Using "hitter's" advice earlier this year, here is what I decided upon:

Seated BB Presses
Chinups
Preacher Curls

Squats
Dips
Calf Raises

These two workouts have wiped me out pretty well so far. and I enjoy finishing knowing I have worked every muscle fibre possible. If I don't see any progress in time, I will surely add another rest day or two between workouts to allow for extra recuperation.

Regards.
Lifter

Sloni
X-Pert
Gewicht (kg): 98
Größe ( in cm ): 187
Training seit: 0- 0-1989
Wettkampferfahrung: Nein
Beitragvon Sloni » 20. Dez 2006, 11:58

Hi Lifter,

BB = Barbel? I was thinking long again, but BodyBuilding, Boris Becker and Brigitte Bardot didn't make any sense. :-)
You mean for the shoulders? Don't you have problems to bring the barbels into position before every repetition?

You don't do deadlifts. Didn't you ever do them or did you quit it?

Bye

Sloni

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User

PITT

Beitragvon Lifter » 20. Dez 2006, 23:52

Hi Sloni,

:-D You were close! Yeah, BB is barbell. You kill me!!! :-D

On Seated BB Presses I set the pins in my power rack so the bar is about chin level, which gives me enough leverage to keep repping out. It is very taxing, as I found, and also works my back quite heavily.

I used to be an avid deadlifter throughout the 90's, but every time I got passed 400lbs I strained my lower back. I did it two years in a row, '94 and '95, so as squats works my lower back enough, I rarely deadlift nowadays as I feel I am better suited to squats.

I have never hurt myself in squats, squatting 400lbs late 90's. That was a dream come true, there is a picture at the bottom of my article... http://www.cbass.com/KevinDye.htm

Bye.
Lifter

Sloni
X-Pert
Beitragvon Sloni » 21. Dez 2006, 11:16

Everybody is clear now about the shoulder presses. For me "barbell" was always the synonym for the small bars, where you handle two at the same time. Shoulder Presses like you do in the power rack I also did at the beginning of my PITT. But as I did a full Push-/Pull-Split at that time, I found out that the front parts of my shoulders don't need another press movement and switched to lateral side raises.

Thank you for the photo and the article. I will read it after answering on your other post!
Should I use google to find more articles you wrote? ;-)

Bye

Sloni

Sloni
X-Pert
Beitragvon Sloni » 22. Dez 2006, 00:19

I was just asked by a friend from Finland ( hi Tomi :wink: ) how I train at the moment. So I looked to the three posts in English to send the links to him and found out that I didn't write MY training down yet.

As I said, I don't think that there is an ideal plan, but I am searching for the plan that works best for me at the moment. Compared with what I did when I started using PITT I lowered volume AND frequency of my workouts:

day 1:
squat
chins
side lateral raises (machine)

day 2:
dips
deadlift
+ 1 set abs and calves NOT in PITT-Style)

Frequency is training about every 4th or 5th day.
At the moment I am thinking about changing something again. I would be training twice a week with one week squat and next week deadlift, but I am still thinking about it. Just FredV. had to listen to my ideas yet. :-)

Bye

Sloni

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User

PITT Split

Beitragvon Lifter » 22. Dez 2006, 04:34

Hi Sloni,

Thanks for sharing, nice split! It is funny how we came about the same split, though we are worlds away!!!

Even though I included direct bicep work, due to the stress of chinups on my arms -- especially done PITT style -- later I may need to drop it. So like me, you have discovered the key to making PITT work is adjusting your routine to meet your individual needs. That is why a cookie-cutter routine can't possibly work for everyone.

I like your idea of alternating squats and deadlifts. Both have their benefits, so working them alternatively ensures you get the best of both exercises. As you may or may not know, squats work 19 muscles, 22 with deadlifts. Later, out of curiousity, I may include deadlifts again. I can see they would be unique done PITT style, and so easy to perform with the bar left on the floor and standing to deep breath between reps.

Every time I hurt my lower back it was on the final reps where I was tired and must have moved out of alignment. But by resting and resetting between reps, should ensure I am in the correct body position to ensure I do them as safely as possible without causing myself any harm.

All the best! :thumbup:
Lifter

Sloni
X-Pert
Beitragvon Sloni » 22. Dez 2006, 10:24

I am not wondering that the splits are similar. It is like in real life, DNA makes it that children in Australia look like children in Germany usually: nose, two eyes, two ears...
Our commom DNA is Mentzer, you used the recordings, I used Little's book that was my first contact to the Consolidation Training. My brain just had the work to understand, that such low volume and frequency can work!!!

I was always thinking about changing squat and deadlift from week to week. I can tell you many people here think about it, some do it. BUT: I always had the impression that 1 time deadlifting in 14 days may be enough... but doing no direct leg training in the deadlift-week may be too less. Yes, I know, that deadlift also trains the quadriceps and the other included muscles, but I have the impression that that is not enough.

The idea was to mix this with something that YOU wrote. I was thinking about:

week 1: squat in superset with leg extension or hack squat
week 2: deadlift + leg extension static hold (with rest, no super set of both)

Like this I won't have the impression to have done not enough for my quadriceps.
I will also explain why I switched to a superset in week one. Many of the others rack and unrack the bar always while doing squats. I can't! I cannot run with the bar here and there, I remain standing. Like that I probably can't do some of the last repititions that I could do if I would put the bar back in the meantime. Instead of this I did leg extensions last week after I was not able to squat and it was great.
Difficult to explain... did you understood what I wrote???

Direct biceps work... I will try both and we see what works.

About your deadlift... what is your size? Please not in feet, but in cm. :-)

Bye

Sloni

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User

Brevity

Beitragvon Lifter » 23. Dez 2006, 02:36

Agreed, we are all essentially the same, it is just our needs in handling large amounts of exercise varies. Even genetic freaks like that 275# Aubrey Francis Mike Mentzer trained, found he could only progress and cope with 2 sets -- 1 set of 2 exercises -- every 10-14 days.

Luckily for me I have records to show how productive brief and infrequent exercise is. That makes it easier for me to believe in it, and follow it. And as PITT is more demanding than normal exercise styles, is even more reason to train as brief and infrequent as possible. :thumbup:

I can see your concerns, and I recently found 10 days between squats was too much as I have been extra sore and stiff in my legs ever since. Seven days and I get midly sore, but any more and the shock is like starting to squat all over again! :-o

I like you idea, that way you can be certain your legs are worked enough. Being such large muscles I believe they need to be worked harder than any other muscle, which your approach would certainly deliver.

I find racking and unracking the bar for squats both tedious and dangerous, so what I do is simply take a minimum of two breathes in between each rep until it gets tough, then I take as long as I need. That was how they did it in the old days, building some decent muscle along the way. It saves my lower back and having to find the same spot on my upper back where the bar is comfortable each time.

Yes, I understood what you wrote, it was explained nicely. :thumbup:

Being a bodybuilder I enjoy bicep work, though I might either drop it later on, or only perform it every second week, which is what champs like Mike Francious did, and he had huge arms. I like that idea as then I could swap it for another exercise, maybe rear shrugs for my traps.

Sorry, I learnt weights and measures in inches, so I had trouble when they switched to metric. I am 5' 8", about 180cms(?) and vary between 220# (100kgs) to 232# (106kgs). How about you?
Lifter

Sloni
X-Pert
Beitragvon Sloni » 23. Dez 2006, 10:20

Hi Lifter,

I am about 1,87m and my weight is usually somewhere around 100 (kg, not pounds :-D ), sometimes a little bit more.
I asked because I got the impression, that especially for long athletes it might be hard to perform the first few cm of deadlifting in proper technique and that it might be an idea, to place the bar just a few cm higher, for example on plates.

About training biceps extra I was also thinking... like I wrote some times already. :-) In January - when I am back from holiday - I will start training with a friend, who plans to compete in April/ Mai. First time PITT for him, but nevertheless we should arrange our common training that it fits for HIM, more important than for me.
His arms are very good, but it might be that only chins is too less for him. We will see, I have some ideas about it and will tell you when we started. :-)

About legs: they are my strong point. Of course I want them to become better, but I don't have to try it with every ounce of energy. Perhaps I better save some energy by performing squat just every second week? On the other hand it is probably not saving energy to perform deadlift instead! :lol:

Bye

Sloni

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User

HD

Beitragvon Lifter » 23. Dez 2006, 11:41

Hi Sloni,

Aha, now I see why you asked my height. I make sure I use large plates so I can start my deadlifts -- when I do them -- from a higher position as possible. I must admit it doesn't feel too natural at the bottom position, I feel far better on the bottom position of squats.

With just over 12 hours before my next workout, I am already excited about getting back into my gym and training. PITT makes for a high level of training enthusiasm as I can squeeze out many more reps than I could normal style. After all these years of training, you can imagine how exciting this is... already I am certain I will see progress throughout!

Thanks, I will be interested in hearing how your friend goes using PITT. Being his first time he is in for a treat, and I bet he enjoys it as much as we both do. :thumbup:

You are lucky, it took me many years to build my legs up. My calves were especially skinny when I started; 10". Now they are around 17" but it has taken blood and sweat to get them there. My quads are around 26", from many years of heavy squatting. They seem to get hit hardest using PITT. Based on the deep soreness and discomfort I experience afterwards. How big are your legs?

My chest is one of my fastest growing muscles, though I struggled for years to find a suitable exercise. Having rather long arms, and due to Mike Mentzer's aversion to bench pressing, I have only done the exercise a few times, and each time I found it hard to feel my chest working. Dips, as we both agree, are a superior movement for chest building. While working my triceps and delts and upper back nicely. :)

Good night.
Lifter

Sloni
X-Pert
Beitragvon Sloni » 23. Dez 2006, 17:37

Hi lifter,

again leaving the house soon, but not without answering. :-)

I also use always the 20kg/ 45pounds-Plates, but nevertheless it might be better to start some cm higher.
On the other hand today I took 135kg for 20 reps, that is far away from what I lifted for single reps (my PB is 200 and 8x170) and I feel safer, even if I get VERY tired at the end of the set.

My legs are at about 26/ 26,5, but I weigh only 98,5kg at the moment as I had a break of one month in octobre and started with 94kg again. In my "best" times the legs have been about 27 left and 27,5 right.

My calves are also about 16, but I don't train them too hard or often at the moment. They had been at 17 or 17,5 already when I trained them more regulary. Unfortunately I have problems with my left achilles heel, so I have to train smart instead of hard, otherwise I have problems for some days.

My problems are the arms. When I was training just for throwing, I didn't care about it. Lifting higher weights was more important than size of the arms. But we will see what PITT will do with my arms. :-)

About Dips as best excercise for chest... I am not sure yet... I just hope that it is like this! :-D
But we will see!

Bye

Sloni

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User

Arms

Beitragvon Lifter » 24. Dez 2006, 02:10

Morning Sloni,

Definitely, larger plates allow better leverage for deadlifts. In a power rack I feel to restricted, so I have only done power-rack deadlifts on a handful of occasions, the floor version the one I favour most.

27 1/2" is a big leg! I assume you have medium to heavy bones? I have a wrist of about 6 3/4", so when I had my arms over 17" it was more of an achievement than Mike Mentzer who built 18" with 8 1/2" wrists. :wink: Also, at 16 yo Mike Mentzer already had 16" arms, so all those years he "only" gained 2". I had 10" arms at the same age but ended up gaining over 7". Put into perspective like that makes me proud of the gains I made. :-D

Sorry to hear about your achilles problems, what is that from? I had shin splints years ago, which hampered my calf training for some time. It was one of the worst pains I have ever had as I had trouble walking, standing, showeringm, even laying down with the weight of my blankets pushing my toes back and causing intense pain.

If there is one area I feel PITT works, maybe overworks is the arms. If you think about the stress indirectly placed on the arms with every exercise -- even squats, statically holding the bar -- then PITT has to be regulated very carefully to avoid overtraining. I plan to experiment with direct biceps work for a month, then reassess whether it is needed. If not, then I'll try every 2nd week before dropping it as I enjoy biceps training, where my triceps get HIT enough through delt and chest work.

As you probably already know, many consider dips the upper-body squat. I know they aren't suited to everyone, but if one can dip safely and progressing over a period of time, with PITT being the best way to do the exercise IMO, then how could they fail to have a bigger chest, delts, and arms? :wink:

Tonight Santa comes, and tomorrow, being Christmas day, I won't be back till Tuesday. So I want to wish you and everyone else on the forum a Merry Christmas, and I hope Santa brings everyone what they wish for.
Lifter

Sloni
X-Pert
Beitragvon Sloni » 24. Dez 2006, 18:46

Hi lifter,

I would say that I have lighter bones. My wrists are like yours. About 6,85 the right and 6,7 the left one. I think this difference is a result of my shot putting. :-)

With my legs I never had problems. They reacted on really high weights twice a day, also on high repetitions.

My achilles heel makes problems since I am 19! I had an operation already in 1998, but it wasn't better than before. But the doctor was an idiot. Operation might have been ok, but nothing was said what I should do afterwards, how to start again...

:-?

Reading your thoughts makes me feel better with my programm, that I won't change anything at the moment. No direct arm work, no change of frequency, ...

This will be my last post here till the 9th of January. But you will have a private message... with instructions! :lol:

Merry Christmas and bigger & stronger muscles in 2007!

Sloni

Lifter
Body-Xtreme.de User

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Beitragvon Lifter » 26. Dez 2006, 00:21

Hi Sloni and all,

I trust everyone had a great Christmas?

The beauty of possessing small bones is whatever size you add at least it shows, unlike heavier-boned people who have to add some substantial size for it to show. That makes me feel better with what I have been given. :wink:

I has skinny legs most of my life, they aren't now, though it took a number of years of heavy squatting to bring them up. I found past 26" my legs rubbed together and I suffered rashes.

Sorry to hear that, you'd think the doctor would have helped with getting you back to normal again. Hopefully it doesn't hamper your training too much, and you are still able to train with high intensity. :)

I believe low sets are best using PITT, as I said, the intensity is far higher than normal style sets, so there needs to be a trade off to cope and to ensure your CNS (Central Nervous System) doesn't burn out.

Hope you had a great holiday! Talk to you when you get back. :thumbup:
Lifter

kakakaoo
Body-Xtreme.de User
Gewicht (kg): 46
Größe ( in cm ): 160
Training seit: 1. Jan 1990

Re: PITT SPLIT

Beitragvon kakakaoo » 9. Nov 2017, 13:46

go.xls

Zurück zu „Training & Trainingssysteme“